Gumbo is a Dancil household favorite! This thick gravy-like sauce with chicken, sausage, shrimp and crab packs lots of flavor and some bite! Im sure it’ll be a favorite in your house as well. Get into the recipe below!
1/2 pound sliced andouille sausage
1 pound of crab meat
1 pound large shrimp (peeled, deveined)
1/2 pound chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup of chopped green onions
1 bay leaf
2 springs of fresh parsley, chopped
1 pound of okra, cut
2 Tb vegetable oil
2 Tb Butter
3 cups of Chicken Stock/broth
6oz clam juice
2 teaspoons of Cavender’s Greek Seasoning
1 teaspoon Gumbo File Powder
Hot cooked white rice
2 teaspoons of cavenders greek seasoning
1 cup of Flour
1 cup of oil
1 teaspoon cavender’s greek seasoning
On medium- low heat in a heavy botton pan, mix flour and oil. Using a whisk, stir together and let cook for about 10 mins. Add the seasoning. Continue to stir. Mixture will be thick and start to brown. Keep stirring. If it looks like its starting to burn, reduce heat. Cook while stirring often for about 15 minutes or until dark brown. Place to the side.
- Season Chicken thighs with 2 teaspoons for Cavenders Greek Seasoning. In a large pan on medium high heat cook the chicken thighs on each side for 10 minutes. Set aside
- In a large pan, preferably cast iron, Heat Vegetable oil on medium high heat. Add the okra and let cook for about 20 minutes or until crispy and slime is no longer running out. Place Aside.
- Heat a large pot on medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the Sausage. Brown on both sides. Add the green & red pepper, celery and onions. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add the Chicken thighs, okra, parsley, bay leave, green onions, roux, clam juice & chicken stock. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. If its too thick add a little more stock or water, but gumbo should be thick.
- Add the shrimp and crab. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the Gumbo File, remove from heat.
- Serve over a long grain white rice.